The Five Things I Did To Launch My Startup In Only Three Months
Posted on December 3, 2015 by Natasha Zena
Getting a startup rolling is not as scary as you may think. Depending on your industry, it can take a little more elbow grease. The most important thing you have to do, is get your butt moving. Here are the five things I did to launch my startup in only three months:
- I zeroed in on my customer.
Lioness magazine was created to serve women just like me, so that’s where I put my focus. What kind of articles would I want to read? What would inspire me? What are my digital media peers not doing? The sooner I was sure who I was serving, the sooner I could focus on their needs.
- I launched the freaking thing.
I didn’t sit around and perfect my idea. I wanted to get my product in front of my target market to test it and validate that women even wanted it. When we started scoring quality interviews and gaining readership, we paused and went on a month hiatus, then came back ready to serve.
- I got help.
Even though I initially launched as a solopreneur, there was no way I could pump out a digital magazine on my own. People have been quite generous to me – offering discounts, giving me extensions to pay invoices and providing guidance when I need it. None would have been possible if I didn’t ask and remain honest about what I needed.
- I wrote out my vision and mission.
Putting down the purpose of my startup on paper helped me stay on course when crafting the Lioness brand. Of course, there were pivots we made along the way, but the essence of the company has not changed one iota.
- I put myself out there.
No one wants to fail, let alone publically. However, I needed to be the face of my brand and get the word out about what we were doing. In the beginning, I was relentless. I emailed universities, entrepreneurs, PR companies, conferences – ANYONE who had contact with my target audience. Out of 100 emails, I would receive 20 responses, sometimes five and other days NONE. The next day, I would get up and send 100 more.
So what are you waiting for? Do you have some things you need to work through in order to get going? We might be able to help you get unblocked. Use the comment section to tell us what you need help with and we’ll see what we can do to help!
ROCK the day!
- Is Alice The New Siri For Entrepreneurs? - February 7, 2018
- Product Review: Keisha Jeremie Puts A Delicious, High-End Spin On Applesauce With, sanaia - January 31, 2018
- Apply Now: Early-Stage Life Sciences Competition For Women, MassNextGen, Is Taking Applications - January 12, 2018
- Rants & Raves: What We Can Learn From Cardi B, Hollywood’s Latest Scandals & Business Owners Like Dave Ratner Who Get Thrown Under The Bus So Easily - October 18, 2017
- Rants & Raves: Women Entrepreneurial Activity Up 10 Percent, Alec Baldwin Dives Into Creepsterville & Lupita Brings Wakanda To Life - September 8, 2017
- Rants & Raves: Pretending To Be Men To Open Doors, Female ‘Lord Of The Flies’ Reboot & Keeping Real Journalism Around - September 1, 2017
- Springfield Mayor Implementing Social Media Policy To City Employees After Police Officer Accused Of Mocking Charlottesville Violence - August 18, 2017
- We Talk Common Mistakes Entrepreneurs Make When It Comes To Protecting Their Businesses With Hillary Arlene Jones - July 31, 2017
- Cofounder of Ready Set Productions Says Women Should Worry Less About The Little Things And More About Quality - June 9, 2017
- Latanya Tibbs Set To Debut On Steve Harvey’s New Show, ‘FUNDERDOME’ - June 9, 2017