In this episode, we talk with Michele Hansen about the business she co-founded with her husband, Geocodio. They launched the business as a side hustle together just after they got pregnant with their first born, now Michele works full time on the business. We talk with her about what it took to make that change and how she has been able to grow the business using a lean startup model, selling to her most engaged customers and restructuring her posts based on what keywords people are using to find her site. Michele has some brilliant tips for fempreneurs on how to develop a Google Search Strategy and structure SEO to attract the right customers.
Mastering Google Search Episode Highlights
- Michele started her business as a side hustle and has just recently started working on it full time.
- Geocodio was launched because it filled a huge problem area for developers.
- “Your best product and sales strategy is marketing a product that people need.”
- Try out Intercom for customer engagement.
- Write articles for specific customers, including words those customers use for specific use cases.
- Live in the Google Search Console, it will help you understand how your customers frame their problems.
- “[Growing a business] has to be something you love so much that you even want to do it on vacation.”
- “Solve a problem you have for yourself. You’ll understand the customer benefit a ton more.”
- “Don’t be afraid of time. There is always time. Work expands to fill the time allotted.”
Michele Hansen is the co-founder of Geocodio, a location data software-as-a-service business she started in 2014 with her husband, Mathias Hansen. Previously, she managed product development for The Motley Fool and was a technical project manager/product manager at a digital agency. She is also an organizer of the DC Jobs To Be Done Meetup. She lives in Arlington, Virginia with her husband, 4 year old daughter, and dog. You can find her on Twitter and on Medium.