Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 56: Scaling And Funding In Silicon Valley — An Interview With Iba Masood CEO And Cofounder Of Tara.ai
Posted on March 7, 2018 by Lean The F*ck Out
In this episode, we talk with Iba Masood, cofounder and CEO of Tara.ai about how she got started as a tech founder and how she and her cofounder are revolutionizing the tech industry. Masood and her husband started Tara in Pakistan when they left college and struggled to find jobs. She had just graduated with a degree in finance and the worldwide recession hit, leaving her without many job prospects. So, they started Tara, with very limited knowledge of web development, hoping to use it to help recent college graduates connect to new careers. Fast forward to today and you can find Masood working 12 – 18 hour days coding and building Tara, a company that is for real revolutionizing the tech industry. Tara has an algorithm that strips away the bias for connecting freelancers to jobs at companies that need coders. Listen to the episode 56 now to hear the full story of what Iba is doing with Tara today and her plans for the future of Silicon Valley.
Scaling and Funding in Silicon Valley Episode Highlights
- Iba and her cofounder started Tara with $200.
- Tara.ai links freelancers to jobs with a non-biased algorithm.
- Iba hustled for years before she got the funding she needed to build her team.
- Embrace yourself as a “female founder”.
- You have to work harder a female in Silicon Valley, there’s no doubt.
- “A startup is a series of fires you have to put out.”
- Each week in a startup has its ups and downs. You have to celebrate every up.
- A founder should focus on talking to customers; raising money and support your employees (current and future).
- “We as women want to do everything. Volunteer to do less. Focus and prioritize. You will be more effective.”
Iba Masood is the cofounder and CEO of TARA, the Intelligent Product Builder. Iba is a YC Alum, and was part of YCombinator’s Winter 2015 class. She was recently awarded Forbes 30 under 30, for the 2018 list, under the field of Enterprise Technology. In August 2017, Iba became a permanent resident of the United States, through the EB-1A award, which presents individuals of outstanding ability with the green card. She is also a past winner of the MIT Global Business Plan competition, and a recipient of the UN ITU Young Innovator’s Award. Iba has been featured in TechCrunch, Wired and Huffington Post for her work in algorithmic pre-screening mechanisms for recruiting, and is passionate about machine learning in the world of work. She has spent the last seven years building mechanisms for pre-screening and project deployment in software, for hundreds of enterprise customers. Iba is the youngest winner of the Cartier Women’s Initiative Award, and has an undergraduate degree in Finance from the American University of Sharjah, graduating magna cum laude at the age of 19. She has also previously worked at McKinsey & Co, and GE.
Follow Iba online at:
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 56: Scaling And Funding In Silicon Valley — An Interview With Iba Masood CEO And Cofounder Of Tara.ai - March 7, 2018
- Lean The F*ck Out — Mastering Google Search And SEO To Increase Sales Online - February 22, 2018
- Lean The F*ck Out: Episode 52 — Ginger Johnson Talks Connectivity As The Fuel For Networking - February 12, 2018
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 50 — Ladies Get Paid, An Interview With Claire Wasserman - January 19, 2018
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 50 — Everest and Company Founder Ashley Wilson Talks Launching An E-commerce Business - December 22, 2017
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 49 — Kae Whitaker Dishes On Digital Media For Small Businesses - December 11, 2017
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 48 — Hip Shake Fitness Founder Charlene Dipaola Talks Running An Online Fitness Business - December 5, 2017
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 47 — Launching A Women’s Health Tech Startup With VaGenie Founder Julia Rose - November 28, 2017
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 46 — Growing A Brewery, An Interview With Nicole Carrier, Cofounder Of Throwback Brewery - November 21, 2017
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 45 — Enhancing Your Inner Fempreneur, An interview With Co-host Tera Wozniak Qualls - November 13, 2017