Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 37 — Starting A Nonprofit Clothing Line For People Impacted By Sexual Assault — An Interview With Founder Maegan Carberry
Posted on October 16, 2017 by Lean The F*ck Out
This week we had the opportunity to talk with Maegan Carberry, founder of Birdbrain, non-profit clothing line seeking to comfort rape victims and help others support them. We talk to Maegan about how she took the bold move to truly lean the f*ck out and create the life she wanted for herself and others like her.
In this episode, Maegan talks about how she launched her Birdbrain brand, her plans for building her online store, and the courage it takes to shout from the roof tops with your own voice and redefine the process of healing from sexual assault.
- Birdbrain is building a new way to comfort rape victims and help others support them past the initial crisis stage.
- If you have an idea that is so important to you, don’t rush into getting funding for it right away. Build what you can first. Once others are invested you lose your ability to shape it.
- “Hiding sucks worse than speaking your truth.”
- It’s okay to take your time before you make the leap. Develop your idea. Nurture it. It’s okay to have that wonderful quiet time with your own idea.
Maegan Carberry is the founder of birdbrain, a non-profit clothing line for people impacted by sexual assault. Birdbrain’s mission is to comfort rape victims and help others support them. For 15 years, Maegan worked as a political journalist. She was Arianna Huffington’s Chief of Staff, Communications Director of Rock the Vote, and the first curator of Upworthy. Maegan ha
s supported many social causes such as civic participation, reducing prison recidivism, and healing post-traumatic stress among veterans. She also taught communications at the University of Southern California.
Follow Maegan online at:
Maegan also recommends this resource for understanding the need to redefine how we talk about sexual assault. https://everydayfeminism.com/2016/07/rape-victim-not-a-rape-survivor/
If you have experienced sexual assault and need support now, call RAINN today: https://www.rainn.org/about-national-sexual-assault-telephone-hotline
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 56: Scaling And Funding In Silicon Valley — An Interview With Iba Masood CEO And Cofounder Of Tara.ai - March 7, 2018
- Lean The F*ck Out — Mastering Google Search And SEO To Increase Sales Online - February 22, 2018
- Lean The F*ck Out: Episode 52 — Ginger Johnson Talks Connectivity As The Fuel For Networking - February 12, 2018
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 50 — Ladies Get Paid, An Interview With Claire Wasserman - January 19, 2018
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 50 — Everest and Company Founder Ashley Wilson Talks Launching An E-commerce Business - December 22, 2017
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 49 — Kae Whitaker Dishes On Digital Media For Small Businesses - December 11, 2017
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 48 — Hip Shake Fitness Founder Charlene Dipaola Talks Running An Online Fitness Business - December 5, 2017
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 47 — Launching A Women’s Health Tech Startup With VaGenie Founder Julia Rose - November 28, 2017
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 46 — Growing A Brewery, An Interview With Nicole Carrier, Cofounder Of Throwback Brewery - November 21, 2017
- Lean The F*ck Out, Episode 45 — Enhancing Your Inner Fempreneur, An interview With Co-host Tera Wozniak Qualls - November 13, 2017