Here’s A Toast To The Year That Woke Everyone The Hell Up
Posted on January 28, 2017 by Natasha Clark
I know at least one person who thought 2016 was amazing: Leonardo DiCaprio (finally they gave him his Academy Award!). My social media feeds were bombarded with memes and sarcastic posts about how extraordinarily awful the year 2016 had been, primarily due to the deaths of icons like Prince, Carrie Fisher and David Bowie to name a few. Others would even speculate that we experienced the death of the ideals of this country via a presidential election that seemed to bring out the worst in some people.
What 2016 did do was lift the veil for all to see the current state of America for all citizens. There was a plethora of topics pushed into the national spotlight that no longer allowed some of us to avert our eyes. From women’s rights to the Black Lives Matter movement to the responsibility of the press to LGBTQ rights, all the way to highest office in the land, it felt like all Americans were finally talking about the same things at the same time – no matter on which side their opinions lay.
Many times we have the luxury of not needing to care or get involved in an issue that personally doesn’t touch us. If 2016 did anything, it allowed us to stop sweeping certain issues under the rug and for that I am grateful, because, how can you fix something if you haven’t even acknowledged that there’s a problem in the first place?
So here’s a proper Leonardo toast to the year that forced many to remove their blinders. Now that we’re all awake, maybe we can finally have a real conversation. And 2017 looks like a fine time to do just that.
Until the next time,
Unleash The Lioness Within,
- Segmentation Is Killing Your Brand: Five Reasons To Find Your Unicorn Customer - March 16, 2017
- How Michelle Lin Went From NYU Dropout To Millionaire CEO - March 7, 2017
- The Three Things You Should Do To Capture The Next Great Moment In Your Life - March 7, 2017
- Kathy Fielder Talks Design, Textile Manufacturing And Launching Her First Company At 22 - March 7, 2017
- Miko Branch On Launching Miss Jessie’s, Running A Multimillion Dollar Company And Working Through Loss - January 28, 2017
- Here’s A Toast To The Year That Woke Everyone The Hell Up - January 28, 2017
- 5 Steps To Launching A T-Shirt Business - December 27, 2016
- 10 Resources For Women Entrepreneurs - December 19, 2016
- Entrepreneur Of The Day: Terri S. Alpert Of Uno Alla Volta - December 15, 2016
- Whoopi And Maya: How Women Are Rocking The Cannabis Industry - November 17, 2016