Did you miss a day or two of news this week? Did you forget some tips you wanted to implement at your startup? It happens. You’re out there trying to rule the world for crying out loud. Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered. Here’s a mashup up of all of the Startup News & Advice you should know:
Things to Add to Your To-Do List
- Keep track of important ideas and advice for your startup from mentors and peers in an organized fashion that allows you to act on them. We gave you a FREE handy, dandy template to use. Get started.
- Fix your pitch deck. There are five common pitch deck errors. We broke them down for you and gave you the solutions. Here’s what your pitch deck should do: pitch the business, be succinct, have visuals and bullet points, focus on distribution and be tailored to your audience.
- Make sure you add the Lean Startup method to your business. A business plan is not enough. You don’t want to waste valuable time and money on things that don’t work. Not sure where to start? Start here.
- Want to drum up business during your public speaking gigs? Don’t plainly ask people to buy your stuff. That’s not why they came to the talk. They came to get educated on a subject. Plant a seed while you speak by mentioning your product or service or client in a positive way (like in an example). Boom. Done.
Things to Meditate On
- Stop being so hard on yourself. Life is a learning experience. Get out of your comfort zone. Celebrate your achievements. Be yourself. Know that you are enough.
- You are not alone. If you begin to feel isolated from your peers, especially if you work from home, get your butt out of the house immediately.
What Your Peers Were Doing This Week
- Leanne Sedlak is giving people the opportunity to donate a spa treatment to a person suffering from cancer. Consider giving someone who is going through a tough time a little calm and pleasure in the midst of their storm.
- Singer Rihanna was catching hell for referring to former NAACP chapter leader Rachel Dolezal as a bit of a hero. Yikes.
- Some women in the United States are selling their breast milk. Others argue it’s unethical and should be donated. The winner at the end of the day? The babies in need who don’t give a damn whether it was purchased or donated.
- The Kardashians & Cosmopolitan mag were relentlessly roasted because the fam was featured on the cover of the mag with the headline, “America’s First Family.” *shoulder shrug*
- Becky A. Davis is giving women everything they need to start a business in one box. She’s calling it the Bosspreneur Successful Startup Kit. We would add a bottle of wine and tissues to the box if possible. In startup land, you’ll need them.
- Jessica Mendoza became the first woman in MLB history to call a postseason game. The fabulous athlete can add this next to being a two-time Olympian. The gross people who ranted sexist things about her on Twitter can … wait … huh? … who were we talking about again? That’s right. They’ll be forgotten and she never will be. As Craig would say, “Bye, Felicia.”
Last But Not Least (some empowerment)
We like you. We really, really like you. You’re amazing. Your hair looked fabulous on Tuesday. Make next week better than the last. We hope the VC fairies sprinkle you with cash. Enough. Get back to work.