The first MAKERS India Conference was held on March 12 and 13. The event celebrated women’s achievement and impact through two high-profile awards – the Women Who Make India Awards and the Emerging Women Entrepreneur 2021 Awards. MAKERS India is a leading digital platform by Verizon Media. They focus on championing women’s equality and promoting diversity and inclusion at the workplace. The awards were announced on Friday, March 12.
“Women leaders in India are blazing a trail as changemakers, innovators and successful entrepreneurs. Through these awards, MAKERS India is celebrating the growing influence and impact of women leaders and entrepreneurs. They advance in their fields and emerge as valuable contributors to Atmanirbhar Bharat. Their phenomenal achievement is intersecting the Indian Government’s efforts to expand the contribution of women towards India’s future economic growth,” said Nikhil Rungta, Country Manager, India, Verizon Media.
The Women Who Make India Awards
The Women Who Make India Awards honored three inspiring Indian women leaders. All three have been doing trailblazing work in their chosen fields.
- Nivruti Rai, Country Head, Intel India & VP, Data Center Group, Intel Corporation was honored with the Tech in innovation Award, for being a trailblazer in her field and a champion for women’s inclusion at the workplace.
- Divya Gokulnath, Co-Founder, BYJU’S, received the Women Entrepreneur of the Year for her progressive leadership at the World’s most valued edtech company.
- And finally, The Woman in Science Award went to Dr. Geetha Manjunath, Founder & CEO, NIRAMAI, for her breakthrough application of AI technology in medicine.
The Emerging Women Entrepreneur 2021 Awards
The MAKERS India Conference 2021 also instituted the Emerging Women Entrepreneur 2021 Awards. The awards celebrate and acknowledge new voices of inclusion in the entrepreneur ecosystem. This award was open for applications from women entrepreneurs across India, who through innovation and leadership, have made significant strides in their business. The winners for the various categories were decided by a jury comprising industry experts as well senior editorial staff from YourStory, HerStory and MAKERS India, based on an evaluation criteria that includes impact index, innovation index, inclusion index, relevance index and inspiration index.
- Jasmine Bala, Founder, Project Balika, who took home the Award for Social Impact for driving high impact in education.
- Vineeta Singh, CEO of SUGAR Cosmetics, a cult-favourite makeup brand amongst millennials won the Award for Health & Lifestyle.
- Selavarani Elangovan and Saradamba Annasamudram, scientists at Corteva Agriscience, an agriculture company, won the technology award for their solutions focused on maximizing productivity to enhance yield, sustainability and profitability.
- Saloni Gaur, creator of Nazma Aapi, who is breaking the internet with her funny, engaging videos that highlight social issues, took home the Award for Influencer.
- A special award for Young Achiever went to Maya Anandan, a 14-year-old student of American Embassy School in New Delhi, who launched her own clothing brand, BoardBurn, during the COVID lockdown.
Bringing women together
The MAKERS India Conference brought together influential women leaders in India from diverse fields to explore ways to accelerate women’s equality. The sessions threw up new perspectives and ideas on themes like equality and inclusivity for women in the workplace.
The first India edition of the conference — which has traditionally seen high-profile attendance in the US — brought together women achievers, icons and changemakers from various sectors. The speaker line-up included distinguished names such as Padma Shri Rani Rampal, Captain of the Indian Women’s Hockey Team; writer, educator and Founder of Katha, Geeta Dharmarajan and award-winning filmmaker Alankrita Shrivasatava .
Leading business leaders such as Malika Sadani, Founder and CEO, The MomsCo; Swati Bhargava, Co-Founder, CashKaro and EarnKaro; Namita Thapar, Executive Director, Emcure Pharmaceuticals and Megha Chawla, Partner, Bain & Company also participated and spoke at the event.
About The MAKERS Conference
The MAKERS Conference India 2021 brings together influential women leaders from diverse fields for the first time to explore ways to accelerate women’s equality. It will bring new perspectives to conversations that can propel action on themes like equality and inclusivity for women in the workplace. From policy trends to entrepreneurship and diversity initiatives, the conference will take a fresh look at the possibilities that come with new pathways and give more power to Indian women.
With its 1st India edition, the conference is a milestone in India’s journey of gender equality at work. The conference will inspire people to action via provocative conversations, compelling storytelling and pledges to advance change through a two-day immersive experience at The MAKERS Conference India 2021.
About Verizon Media
Verizon Communications Inc. was formed on June 30, 2000 and is celebrating its 20th year as one of the world’s leading providers of technology, communications, information and entertainment products and services. Headquartered in New York City and with a presence around the world, Verizon generated revenues of $131.9 billion in 2019. The company offers data, video and voice services and solutions on its award-winning networks and platforms, delivering on customers’ demand for mobility, reliable network connectivity, security and control.