Answers By: Anisha Bhasin Mukherjee and Shradha Mehta, co-founders of DRESS FOR THE DAY, New York, New York
1) How long have you been in business?
Our website launched in May of 2013 and our mobile app just launched in May of this year (2015)!
2) Why have you chosen to dedicate yourself to this particular business/industry?
We created DRESS FOR THE DAY because of a sheer need for it. We needed it, our friends needed it, their friends needed it, etc. We wanted to solve the everyday problem of figuring out what to wear and make women’s lives easier through tech. But, we didn’t want to make it complicated or intimidating. Fashion tech doesn’t have to be difficult to navigate or time-consuming if done the right way. So, we made a fun, quick and easy platform to merge our two biggest passions: tech and fashion.
3) What makes business/product unique?
DFTD helps women figure out what to wear based on occasion, personal style, weather and budget. Users have access to thousands of user-generated streetstyle looks and can shop them based on their budget and personal styles. They receive fashion inspiration in two ways: 1) in real-time daily, by pulling an outfit out of their closet mimicking a streetstyle look they like and 2) by pre-planning outfits and shopping them head to toe for upcoming occasions. We hand curate each streetstyle look with pieces across all price points, designers and retailers, big and small. Rather than us dictate fashion to the user, we want her to discover new and exciting pieces and be a source of inspiration for others.
4) You could have worked for anyone and would have been successful, why become an entrepreneur?
Nothing compares to creating your own product and being a #bosslady! Success is such a subjective term and comes in all forms, but for us, success is taking a risk and reaping the rewards. There is no greater feeling than knowing you made something out of nothing and watch it grow.
5) What was your last, “why did I go into business for myself” moment?
That moment when you realize you have nine million business, fashion, tech, legal, design, PR, social media, editorial, admin, and sales things to do and you’re a two person team? Happens everyday. #startuplife
6) Every female professional should have confidence, persistence, and pair of kick-butt patent leather pumps.
7) If you could steal some business mojo from another mogul, who would it be and why?
Sara Blakely, founder of Spanx. She didn’t let anything or anyone get in her way of success and is the definition of a true entrepreneur: relentless in her pursuit, realistic about her expectations and a straight up hustler. Plus, hello, it’s Spanx! Where would we be without them?
8) What is your business motto?
Stay hungry but don’t forget to snack (that’s a DFTD original!).
9) If you could give other entrepreneurs three tips, what would they be?
- Be patient. Success does not happen overnight (or over a year) and anyone who tells you that is full of it!
- There’s no such thing as a perfect product or business. It’s important to strive for perfection, as long as you know that it’s a never-ending chase. It’s the chase that’s most exciting, though!
- Hard work is a major understatement. It’s more like ‘drive you crazy, put you through the ringer, nothing will ever prepare you for, holy [expletive] what did we get ourselves into’ work.
10) Has there been a piece of technology or software that has been a lifesaver to you?
Besides our own app and website? Probably: Dropbox and Google Calendar, and the iWatch, and Spotify. We might be a little tech obsessed.
11) What is your goal for the next year?
Keep growing! We launch DFTD for Men later this year, which we are super excited about and have some other epic product launches and media partnerships in the works, so stay tuned!
12) When someone is telling their friend about your business, what do you hope they say?
I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT DRESS FOR THE DAY – IT’S A GAMECHANGER! And the founders are pretty awesome too 🙂