This year holiday e-commerce sales are predicted to reach record highs with digital sales set to surpass 10 percent of total retail for the first time. InfoTrust, a leading marketing technology company that implements web analytics for some of the world’s largest brands, is giving Lioness readers three quick tips to get the most out of your Google Analytics data:
Ecommerce for the Holidays: How to use Google Analytics to get the most out of your data
InfoTrust Web Analyst Pam Castricone said the key to getting the most out of your holiday shopping data hinges on two efforts: ensuring that your digital marketing campaigns are properly tagged and fully leveraging the suite of Enhanced Ecommerce reports in Google Analytics. Here’s what to do:
- Understand Acquisition Reports. These reports help online marketers understand users Acquisition-Behavior-Conversion (ABC) cycle. They allow you to analyze where traffic originates, including by marketing channel, traffic source and medium, and campaign.
- Discover how users arrived on your site. Most traffic sources can be categorized into 4 groups:
- Direct: Typed URL in browser or arrived via bookmark
- Referral: Link from another website
- Search: Organic search engine or paid search ad
- Campaign: Campaign URLs (such as email links)
- Set up campaign tracking. For inbound links to the site, you can customize tagging by adding the “source,” “medium,” and “campaign” to the URL. Tagging URLSs for campaign tracking is easy using tools such as Google’s URL Builder.