In this episode of Lean the F*ck Out, we talk with Susan Hyatt about how you can take yourself further as a business owner by defeating self-sabotage through self-love, body positivity, finding what gives you pleasure and quitting things that deprive you of that pleasure. Susan shares tips and techniques from her own experience and her new book, “BARE.”
Defeating Self-Sabotage Episode Highlights:
- Stop obsessing with your body and revert our energy to what really matters for our life.
- The “Invisible Workload” of women = Even if you are in a ‘equal’ partnership, women still carry the invisible workload that doesn’t take any credit. The invisible workload is the emotional heavy lifting we do to hold up our family and friends, and keep things moving.
- When you are not feeling good it’s hard to shift your mindset away from self-sabotage.
- Environmental Detox = Paying attention to everything in your environment that depletes your energy in some way. What do you need to clean up here? Set boundaries and say no. Take power and time back. This frees you up to focus more on yourself.
- Lack of willpower is not the reason you can’t make a change or develop a new habit. You are distracted and exhausted by the visible and invisible workload you carry.
- The antidote to the “more willpower,” “no pain no gain” is women focusing on their pleasure.
- The Pleasure Principle = the human body is wired for pleasure, if you deprive your body of pleasure and run on scarcity (like through traditional dieting) you are acting counterintuitively to your need for pleasure.
- You don’t have to deserve pleasure. Your body is wired for it. Give yourself permission. From this you will help to overcome self-sabotage.
- Do the environmental detox work to reduce self-sabotage.
- Envy is a good tap on the shoulder. Admiration is hijacked by negative thinking. Envy is a sign of the pleasure you desire or are depriving yourself of.
- Fuel yourself regularly throughout the day and allow yourself some pleasure food.
- For every deprivation there is an equal and opposite binge.
Susan Hyatt is a master certified life coach who has helped thousands of women to transform their bodies and lives. She’s the creator of the Bare Process, the Bare Deck, the Bare Podcast, and an online community called Bare Daily. With her fiery Facebook rants—including “Whoop Ass Wednesday,” where she reads a fresh batch of hate mail from Internet trolls and gives her sassiest response—Susan has gained an international following of women who love her honesty, humor, and fearlessness. Susan has been featured in Cosmopolitan, Woman’s World, Seventeen, and O: The Oprah Magazine, and was a Finalist for the Athena Award, honoring her work in the field of women’s empowerment.
You can find Susan online at:
BARE Website: letsgetbare.com
BARE Podcast (iTunes)
Rich Coach Club Podcast (iTunes)