What’s up, Lionesses? We’re back with another episode of, “On Behalf of All Women.” Dawn and Natasha want the world to know that women-founded startups are real, our businesses are making money and we need you to help us turn our zebra companies into unicorns. In this episode, our co-founders don’t hold back when it comes to talking venture capital. Natasha says startup investment is high-stakes gambling and VC’s are picking who gets to play.
“Women are feeling this and people of color are feeling this,” Dawn says. “There’s this big game going on and you’re just being told, ‘Hey, you can’t play.’ You’re not even being picked last for the dodgeball game. You’re just not being picked.”
Their unfiltered conversation delves into training your brain for wealth, VC firms needing to diversify deal flow and the incredible rise and fall of unicorn Theranos. Plus, can startups get too big? Why super companies that keep acquiring startups may not be the best thing for the innovation sector.
Want to hear our thoughts on a particular topic? Send an e-mail with your topics to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “On Behalf of All Women.”
Here are some notable highlights:
- (10:20) Venture capital is high stakes gambling and VCs are picking and choosing who gets to play.
- (16:20) Real zebra companies generating revenue versus unicorn startups who have generated zero dollars.
- (20:53) Women rock it better than men when our startups are venture-backed.
- (27:18) A wealth mindset starts at home. What unsaid things did you learn from your parents about money?
- (46:00) Understanding that your product/service is NOT for everyone. Embrace demographics.
- (50:14) Can companies get too big? What happens when companies like Facebook and Amazon become super companies?
- (56:00) Can leading your startup for many years cause it to sink? Dawn and Natasha look at an interesting argument.
About this podcast
“On Behalf of All Women,” co-hosted by Lioness cofounders Dawn Leaks and Natasha Zena, takes listeners into the world of female entrepreneurs.
You’ll hear the candid, irritating and hilarious commentaries of two startup founders navigating their way through entrepreneurship. Told through a mix of intimate conversations and offbeat interviews with heart featuring some of today’s leading female entrepreneurs, “On Behalf of All Women” brings you behind the scenes of what it’s really like to be a female entrepreneur launching a startup.
“Episode 3” from On Behalf of All Women by Lioness Magazine. Released: 2018. including music from the New Music Mantra (Snowflake’s revox) by Snowflake (c) copyright 2011 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license.