Why The ‘Fake It Til You Make It’ Mentality Is Only Gearing You Up For A Let Down
Posted on August 12, 2016 by Dawn Leaks
In this month’s special double issue Coach Dawn is popping in with a special guest editor’s note
I first heard the phrase “fake it til you make it” in the context of sales. The intention behind the phrase was to help novice salespeople “fake” the confidence of a super successful seller. Look the part and convey the confidence of the part, even if you’re not quite there yet. It made sense to me at the time and it helped me close my first accounts. It seems like today, the meaning of the phrase has morphed into something more sinister, encouraging people to do whatever it takes to become successful, even if that means lying to or deceiving people.
At its best, the phrase can inspire forward movement. At its worst it can turn into something more nefarious. The most dangerous place to be with this phrase, though, is somewhere in the middle – a sort of purgatory where you find yourself in limbo between action and complete fallacy. It’s a place of posturing, keeping up with the Joneses, and leading people to believe that you have way more customers, money and success than you really do. The most damaging part, is most times, you end up fooling yourself.
This month as we explore demolishing fear and doubt with Cheryl Wood and living abundantly with Lisa Nichols, the most important thing you can do is get crystal clear with your self awareness. Getting clear on who you are, where you are in your business and where you ultimately want to go will set a beautiful foundation for you as read this issue and apply the principles within.
ROCK the day!
– Coach Dawn
- MOTIVATION MINUTE: When It’s Impossible To Move Forward - January 28, 2017
- Is Your Safety Net Keeping You Bound In Mediocrity? Know When To Leap - September 21, 2016
- Lisa Nichols Is Giving Us ‘Abundance Now’ While Motivating The Masses - August 12, 2016
- Why The ‘Fake It Til You Make It’ Mentality Is Only Gearing You Up For A Let Down - August 12, 2016
- REVIEW: Malibu Sandals Womens SS2016 Collection - August 12, 2016
- Olympic Pride, American Prejudice: The Must-See Documentary of The Year - August 12, 2016
- The Lioness Membership Program Offers Help For Female Entrepreneurs - June 28, 2016
- Mid-Year Check In: Where Are You With Your New Year Goals? - June 22, 2016
- Some Key Pieces Of Swag From Game Of Thrones That Every Female Entrepreneur Should Master - May 20, 2016
- How You Start Your Day Can Affect The Vision For Your Life - February 24, 2016